NEW OLD MODELS FOUND
The tag says it all. It's all about older models which I have discovered only recently.
I stumbled upon a Volvo PV544 by AHI who has a color which I've never seen before. It is painted red. This model exists also in black, white and brown. These 1:87 scale models where made in Japan. They consist of a diecast body, a tinplate bottom-plate and real rubber tires.
Heco Miniatures released between 1990 and 1991 a 1:43 scale Volvo PV544. The rtr model was made out of resin. Four different colors were available : black, burgundy red, midnight blue and beige. 375 models of each color were produced.
A French reseller is offering some Volvo PV544 scale models by Heco Miniatures which I have never seen before. The French company Heco Miniatures went out of business not so long ago. It seems that the above mentioned reseller was able to acquire all these models after everything was foreclosed.
This batch comprises the following pieces :
1. Complete mold to cast the resin body of the Volvo PV544.
2. This seems to be the prototype body : you still can see the sanded putty on it.
3. This is a near complete but unbuilt kit : only the glazing and the complete set of trim and door handles are missing. The steering wheel has been fixed to the already black painted dashboard.
4. This an non-complete kit : axles, rims, the whole interior, the glazing, the complete set of trim and door handles are missing.
5. This is an already painted but not entirely built model : this is the only one that comes with glazing.
6. This is an already painted but unbuilt kit which comes in an quite unusual blue over black paint scheme. This version has never been offered for sale.
7. This is an already painted but unbuilt kit which comes in an quite unusual blight grey over black paint scheme. This version has never been offered for sale.
8. This is a set of 8 interiors which comes fixed on a resin base.
All these items are still for sale on ebay at this moment. But the price tags are in my opinion much to high.
I only payed around 65 € for each of the two rtr models that I have in my private collection.
Here is the price list for the various kits and models :
Amazon65, a long-time Volvo collector from the Netherlands informed me about this small Volvo PV544 scale model.
It is a plastic scale model that the American company MPC (Multiple Products Company) produced back in 1961. The scale is close to 1:87 but I have not been able to verify this information.
The model has been produced in the following four colours : red, green, blue and yellow. But it seems that you can find models in various shades of each colour.
Volvo PV544 in red by MPC :
Volvo PV544 in green by MPC :
Quote from an article by Dave B. Reeves :
A Brief History:
A few brief notes that may prove helpful to you in collecting these cars: They were made by the Multiple Products Company (MPC) in New York City between approximately 1954 and 1970. They were frequently sold in bags of 40 or 100, for either 49 or 99 cents, and were originally called "Cars of All Nations". In later years they also appeared in cellophane boxes, and renamed such things as “Detroit in Miniature” and other names. Usually sold in 5 & 10 stores such as Woolworth’s, they also appeared in the toy aisles of many drug stores and grocery stores. Some of you may even be old enough to remember when they were sold through advertisements in the back pages of comic books ... cars sold this way came in the mail in a square box (I have three sets in their original shipping boxes, and a copy of the ad itself, in my own collection).
Note that the MPC Company that produced them has no relation to the MPC Company that later produced plastic model kits. The little cars appear to have disappeared from stores in the early 1970’s although occasionally a complete bagged set still turns up (I have six or seven different sets in unopened bags).
(click on the link below to read the entire article)
Source & copyright : www.87thscale.info/mpc.htm
_This Volvo PV544 is made of white metal and was sold by the company Modelauto Replica. It is the first time that I was able to get a pair of good pictures of this model. It seems that the model is a copy of the model by Tekno.
_Photos used with permission.
The Japanese company Marusan has produced in the past various Volvo H0 slotcar models. In the USA and Japan slotcars in 1:64 scale are referred as H0 scale. This often confuses people in Europe.
The ones I was able to find are :
Volvo PV544 - colors: blue, turquoise
Volvo P1800 - color: turquoise
You can see pictures of this model here : www.bilbaneforumet.se